Photo: Man with MS on stairlift at home

Home adaptations

MS can cause particular issues around the house.

Having MS doesn't necessarily mean you will need to make any changes to your home, but sometimes the right adaptations can make sure it still suits your day-to-day life. This can even mean the difference between staying in the home you love and having to move.

If you are thinking about adaptations to your home, an occupational therapist (OT) can do an assessment to see what would be useful for you. You can ask a member of your health or social care team to refer you.

For more information about what OTs can do to support you, and how to find one, see the leaflet, Occupational therapy and MS from the College of Occupational Therapists

You don’t need to be a home owner to have adaptations made - landlords must make reasonable adjustments for disabled tenants. Private landlords can apply for financial support for necessary works.

For larger adaptations in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) is the major source of funding. In Scotland, the main source is the Scheme of Assistance.

Find out more