Photo: Man with MS in the garden with his three young boys and his wife

Brief guide to benefits

The benefits system is complex, and the rules often change, so even if you’ve looked into it before, it might be worth checking again.

Read the latest information about finance and benefits and coronavirus COVID-19

Across the UK, billions of pounds are unclaimed each year - make sure you get what you're entitled to.

Getting started

It's worth noting:

  • Some benefits are affected by earnings, other types of income and the amount of savings or capital you (and sometimes your partner) have.
  • As benefits can change, it’s worthwhile checking regularly to see if you’re claiming everything you’re entitled to.
  • Some benefits are affected by a claimant's age, so check your entitlement when you/your partner/your children turn 16, 18, 60, or 65.
  • If your circumstances change, your local Citizens Advice can help check what you're entitled to.
  • If the symptoms of your MS get worse it's worth arranging a benefits check, particularly if any progression in your MS looks like it will be long-term.
  • Many benefits overlap, so if you receive one there may be others that you can't get.
  • The rules about some benefits may vary between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

MS benefits advice service

Do you have a question about benefits? We can help. Our MS benefits advice service offers free, confidential advice to people affected by MS, supporting people in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.

You can get in touch with our MS Benefits Adviser by calling the Helpline on 0808 800 8000 or emailing

Which benefits am I entitled to?

Further information