Our work in government
Policies in every nation need to reflect the needs of people with MS, so we work closely with politicians in the UK Parliament, Welsh Assembly, Scottish Parliament and Northern Ireland Assembly to influence these policies.
We do this through:
- One-to-one meetings with politicians and other policy makers.
- Producing briefings on policies affecting people with MS.
- Drafting parliamentary and Prime Minister’s questions (PQs and PMQs).
- Working in coalition with other groups to lobby.
- Administering and working closely with the All-Party Parliamentary Group for MS (in Westminster) and the Cross-Party Group for MS (in the Scottish Parliament).
All-Party Parliamentary Group for Multiple Sclerosis (Westminster)
We work with a cross-party group of Parliamentarians who are committed to tackling issues that affect people with MS: the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Multiple Sclerosis (APPG). The group is made up of MPs and peers from all parties who help to make sure MS issues are high on the government’s agenda.
Simon Hoare, MP for North Dorset, is Chair of the Group and has a keen interest in the welfare and healthcare issues affecting people with MS. Alongside Simon, Lord Dubs, Lord Monks, Baroness Grey-Thompson, Mark Durkan MP and Nic Dakin MP are all officers of the Group.
The main focus for the APPG for MS in 2016 was a review into employment support policies for people affected by MS. This involved a series of evidence sessions in Parliament, and an official report including cross-party recommendations on how to better support people with MS to enter and stay in employment.
Cross-Party Group for Multiple Sclerosis (Holyrood)
In October 2013 the first ever Cross-Party Group (CPG) for MS was established in the Scottish Parliament.
The CPG sets out to influence relevant legislation, raise awareness of the experiences of people with MS and ensure the voices of people affected by MS are heard by key decision-makers.
Members of the CPG include MSPs from different political parties, voluntary organisations, people affected by MS and health and social care professionals. The office bearers are:
- Convener: George Adam MSP
- Vice Convener: Lewis MacDonald MSP
- Secretary: MS Society Scotland