Improving equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI): Our progress and plans
We will work together towards this by taking an ambitious approach and integrating EDI into a whole range of our activities.
We will highlight the contribution EDI can make in meeting the needs of people we support, through our staff, volunteers, partners, friends and contacts, based on our common goals, behaviours and values.
Our progress in 2019
- We continued to deepen our understanding of EDI in the MS community. Last year we completed a major research project with groups we traditionally struggle to reach about their experiences of MS and perceptions of our work. The project captured rich equalities data about our MS community which we’re drawing on to underpin our work and measure outcomes.
- We established an internal network of EDI champions across the organisation. EDI Champions and people with MS have come together at a series of workshops to coproduce detailed plans for 2020 and beyond.
- We expanded communications and outreach at EDI events. For example we had our first ever official MS Society presence at Pride marches in London, Belfast and Cardiff. We shared stories from staff and our community about their intersectional experiences of being LGBTQ+, mixed heritage and living with MS.
- We put EDI at the heart of our new corporate strategy, with plans to improve our reach to all parts of the MS community and make sure everyone feels included in what we do and how we talk about it.
Our plans and progress for 2020
Work to develop an inclusive and fair recruitment process
- We will always advertise externally for roles at Head and Director level, to make sure we are giving senior opportunities to a wide range of candidates - complete
- Blind recruitment introduced (where recruiters don’t see candidates’ names on applications) - complete
- Guaranteed interview for candidates from under-represented backgrounds - complete for BAME candidates and disabled people, still exploring extent of under-representation in other areas
- Hire specialist recruitment agency who will focus on attracting applicants from BAME backgrounds to apply to become a trustee of the MS Society - complete
Make sure we have data in place to develop insights and evidence
- Staff survey on EDI – complete
- Full collection of EDI data on official staff HR system - by Autumn 2020
- Collection and review of our recruitment data to understand the outcomes of our new processes - by July 2020
Programme of staff training and development
- Women in Leadership talks - second half of 2020
- BAME people in Leaderships talks - second half of 2020
- Training for Board and senior staff about reflecting equality in decision-making - by September 2020
- Training on EDI and unconscious bias - rolled out to all staff by December 2020
- Leadership development programme design - start by the end of 2020
Going further, faster
In March we agreed to refresh and enhance our overall EDI strategy for September 2020. Over the summer we will have a series of conversations with staff and people affected by MS to build this strategy together.
We don’t want anyone in our MS community to feel alone during this crisis. And that means we need your support.
We’re rapidly expanding our services and tailoring them so anyone who needs us can get help online or over the phone.
Our MS Helpline has seen a big increase in calls - we want to answer every single one.
Will you help us be there for everyone by making a donation?