Benefits of donating shares
- Donating shares is one of the most tax-effective ways you can give money to the MS Society. When you donate shares, you do not have to pay any capital gains tax for the donated shares.
- Additionally you can claim income tax relief equal to the value of the donated shares according to your income tax rate (40% for higher rate taxpayers and 45% for highest rate taxpayers).
To qualify for the tax relief, the shares or securities must be:
- listed or dealt on a recognised UK or foreign stock exchange
- units in authorised unit trusts
- shares in a UK open-ended investment company holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes.
Find out more
For more information about share giving, contact Claire O'Connor by email or on 020 8827 0312.
If you're unsure of your tax situation and would like more information, you can call the HM Revenue and Customs helpline on 084 5900 0444 or visit the HMRC website.