Disability benefits

Living costs can mount up when you’re living with MS.

This section looks at the benefits you can claim and help that’s available to you.

Find out more about:

Read our brief guide to benefits you might be entitled to.


Men talking at an appointment about financial support

Your local MS Society branch will also have information and may be able to help you find assistance with filling in forms.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit that can help cover the extra costs you may face if you need help doing everyday tasks or find it difficult to get around outside your home.

A family affected by MS

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit paid if your ability to work is limited by ill health or disability. 

Find out more about ESA

Man with MS sitting down in a football stadium

If you think that the decision about your benefit claim is wrong, it is well worth appealing.

Find out about appealing against an ESA decision

The government is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) with a new benefit, Personal Independence Payment (PIP), for people aged 16 to 64.

Read more about PIP.


If you are concerned about the change from DLA to PIP,  read more about changing from DLA to PIP

Information about DLA is still available in our booklet 'Claiming disability Living Allowance'

What's new?