Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit that can help cover extra costs you may face if you need help doing everyday tasks or find it difficult to get around outside your home.

PIP is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people of working age across the UK (PIP is now also available in Northern Ireland). If you currently receive DLA, you'll be reassessed for PIP at some point.

>> More information about the change from DLA to PIP.

About PIP

You can claim PIP if you have difficulties in getting around or need help looking after yourself because of your MS.

Your eligibility for PIP depends on what help you need. It doesn't matter if you don't actually get this help, as long as you can show you need it.

PIP has two parts (also known as components):

  • a daily living component – for help with everyday life, for example dressing, eating, decision making
  • a mobility component – for help with getting around. People who are reassessed from DLA to PIP may lose their Motability vehicle if they lose higher rate mobility - contact Motability to discuss your situation.

You can be awarded either, or both, of these parts. How much you get depends on the level of your daily living needs or mobility problems.

Who can claim PIP?

You can claim PIP if you're aged between 16 and 64.

If you're 65 or over and have care needs, you can claim Attendance Allowance instead. Children aged 15 or under with MS can claim DLA until they turn 16. Read more about Attendance Allowance or DLA.

You can claim PIP once you have had problems with daily living or mobility for at least three months, and you expect those problems to continue for at least another nine months.

You can get PIP even if:

  • you are working
  • you have not paid any National Insurance contributions
  • you are getting other benefits, such as Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • your partner or husband or wife works
  • you have savings
  • you live alone and no-one is providing care for you
  • you already have someone, a partner for example, providing care for you
  • you don’t want anyone to provide care for you

How do I claim PIP?

Contact the Department for Work and Pensions to start your PIP claim. They'll send you a claims form to complete. You may also have to attend a face-to-face assessment.

The PIP assessment is a points-based assessment, which means you score points depending on how you can perform different activities. There are 10 activities relating to your daily living needs and two activities relating to your mobility.

The number of points you score will determine whether or not you're entitled to either component of PIP and, if you are, at which rate.

For more information on PIP, and a guide to the assessment process, see our booklet Claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP). It includes a pull-out section with the descriptors used by the assessor when looking at your claim.

This flow chart can help you understand the PIP process.

PIP and other benefits

PIP is not counted as income when working out if you're entitled to means-tested benefits including:

If you receive PIP you may also be able to get higher payments of these benefits.

You might also be able to access the Motability scheme if you’re claiming the enhanced rate of the mobility component of PIP.

More information

You can also find more information from the following sources:

We're campaigning to make PIP assessments as fair as possible.

>> Join our campaigns community to add your voice.

Page tagged with:
Page last updated: 15 Jan 2018

What's new?