Questions about MS? Call us on 0808 800 8000
 A photo of a Mother and a young carer

Support for young carers

If you're under 18 and have a family member with MS, you may be giving them extra help and support. If you are, you may have heard of the term 'young carer' which is often used to refer to children and teens in your situation.

You might be doing housework, cooking, shopping, helping them get dressed or move about the house or caring for brothers or sisters.

Lots of people 'help out' at home, but if you're giving lots of care and it's causing you problems, or you just need some information about living with MS, there is help available.

Who can help?

We’ve written a guide for young carers to try to explain about living with someone who has MS.

Many Carers Trust Network Partners support young carers and young adult carers. They offer support such as breaks, activities and someone to talk to. They might also be able to help find financial support. For more information, call 0300 772 9600, visit or email [email protected].

In Scotland Young Scot provides help and support to young carers and offers a Young Carers package which includes things like free cinema tickets, discounted study guides, and other support.

Young carers in Scotland can apply for a Young Carer Grant from Social Security Scotland. If you’re eligible, you can get a payment every year up to the age of 18. Find out if you’re eligible and apply at Citizens Advice Scotland.

Our MS Helpline

If you have any worries or questions or just want someone to talk to, you can call our MS Helpline free and confidentially on 0808 800 8000.