Questions about MS? Call us on 0808 800 8000
A photo showing Euro coins and notes

Financial support for holidays

Going on holiday or taking a break when you’re living with MS can sometimes end up costing more, especially if you’ve got care and accessibility needs. There are a few ways you might find help to pay for a break.

Can I get social care funding for a holiday, short break or respite care if I've got MS?

You might be able to get funding from social services for a holiday, short break or respite care if you’ve got MS. Social services will need to assess your needs, or the needs of your main unpaid carer if you have one. 

If you’re eligible, you might get funding which you choose how to spend. So you could agree to put it towards short breaks or respite care. 

Find out more about social care funding, including personal budgets and direct payments.

What other financial support is there for holidays, short breaks or respite care?  

If you or the person you care for has MS, you might be able to get financial help for a short break or respite care from your local MS Society group.

Find out if your local MS Society group offers grants for holidays, short breaks or respite care

Unfortunately, we can’t accept applications for our national Carers Grants or Health and Wellbeing Grants at the moment. Our national grants programme is paused for 2 to 3 years because of the drop in our income due to coronavirus. 

Other organisations might be able to help you find grants to help pay for a short break: 

  • Disability Grants – has a list of charities and trusts that provide grants, including for holidays, disability equipment, and children and families.  
  • Independence at Home - provides grants for travel equipment and holidays for people with MS and other neurological conditions. To apply, you need to be referred by what they call a 'professional worker', which includes health and social care professionals and advice workers. 
  • Money Advice Service have information to help you find grants.
  • Turn2Us include a grants search tool to look for grants from charities.