Breaks and holidays for people with MS

Thinking about taking a break and need some help to arrange it? Our MS Short Breaks Service is here for you.

We can help you to plan a break in the UK or abroad, or to look for residential or respite care.

Have a look at our hints and tips to help you organise your break.

Or call our MS Helpline on 0808 800 8000 to find out more about short breaks.

MS respite care

Respite care allows you and your carer to have a break, with a professional carer giving you support. It could take place:

  • in your own home
  • on holiday
  • in a specialist centre, nursing home or care home.

Your local authority can give you information about respite care services near you.

Respite care resources

These directories have information about care centres and other services that can offer respite care.

A directory of care homes and other residential services in the UK where you can search by location or 'respite care'.

Visit the website

01488 684 321

Sister site to, this directory focuses on home care and nursing agencies in the UK.

Visit the website

01488 684 321

All residential care and nursing homes in the UK have to register with the health and social care regulator that covers their nation. You can find inspection reports for homes and, if you need to, report any concerns you have.

England: Care Quality Commission (CQC)

0300 061 6161

Northern Ireland: Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA)

028 9051 7500

Scotland: Care Inspectorate

0345 600 9527

Wales: Care and Social Services Inspectorate (CSSIW)

0300 7900 126

There are charities that run respite care and short break services.

Crossroads Care Schemes (England and Wales)

This network of independent charities provides support for carers and the people they care for through flexible breaks and care cover. Use the Carers Trust website to search for local support or call them for your nearest scheme.

0300 772 9600

Crossroads Caring (Scotland)

Service care attendants providing in-home care in Scotland while your carer takes a break.

0141 226 3793

Crossroads Caring for Carers (Northern Ireland)

Service care attendants providing in-home care in Northern Ireland while your carer takes a break.

02891 814 455

Leonard Cheshire Disability


  • longer-term placements in their nursing and residential services
  • stays in services with current vacancies
  • day centres for days out socialising and new activities.

England: 020 3242 0200

Scotland: 0131 346 9040

Wales: 01633 422 583

Northern Ireland: 07895 207 659


Provides breaks and holidays for disabled people and carers at their purpose-built centres in Southport and Chigwell. They also offer advice on funding from local authorities and other sources.

0303 303 0145