Accessible transport for people with multiple sclerosis

Depending on where you’re going, and your mobility needs, your transport might need a little extra planning.

For a ‘one stop shop’ on travelling with a disability in the UK, visit the UK government’s website. If you want to travel abroad, see the pages on foreign travel for disabled people.

If you are travelling in London, London Underground and Overground have a ‘Turn up and Go’ assistance service for mobility and sight impaired customers. For more information, see Transport for London's Transport Accessibility page. If you struggle to stand up there's also a free Please offer me a seat badge and card which you can apply for from Transport for London (TFL) which can be used on all TFL services.

For planning journeys in Northern Ireland, see the Translink planning tool.

Find out more

Free off-peak travel on local buses is available for disabled people across the UK. In some areas the pass also gets you free or discounted travel on other forms of transport. In some areas a carer who travels with a disabled person might also get a discount.

In Scotland you can contact your local authority to apply for a National Entitlement Card, which will allow you free travel on most local and long distance bus services in Scotland. Transport Scotland has now amended its criteria for people with MS. Your application can now be supported by a letter from your MS Nurse instead of your neurologist. The process to apply is set out on the travel website.

Contact your local council to find out about disabled persons’ bus passes in your area and about local variations and restrictions.

For more information contact:

Each train company has their own arrangements for supporting disabled passengers and transporting wheelchairs and mobility scooters. Check individual websites or phone the helpline of the company you’re travelling with for detailed information to help plan your journey.

National Rail has information on the accessibility of stations and getting assistance during a journey, such as help getting on or off a train, or ramps for a wheelchair.

If you've got MS, you're eligible for a Disabled Person’s Railcard. It could save you, and the person you're travelling with, a third off most rail fares throughout Great Britain. Find out more and apply at National Rail's Disabled Person's Railcard website.

Free assistance services for disabled passengers and persons with reduced mobility (PRM) should be available at all European airports. You can get:

  • help with registration at check-in
  • assistance with moving through the airport
  • help with getting on and off the plane
  • help with stowing and retrieving baggage on the plane

Wherever you’re travelling to, let the airline and airports know exactly what your needs are as early as possible, otherwise you risk not getting the support you need. This should be done at least 48 hours before travelling.

Most airlines will carry two items of mobility equipment free of charge (weight restrictions may apply). Wheelchairs will have to be checked in, but the airline will provide you with an airport wheelchair. Check your individual airline’s policy for details.

Find out more on the Civil Aviation Authority website.

Find out more on our pages about going abroad

Many local minicab and taxi firms have wheelchair accessible vehicles.

When booking, remember to specify whether your wheelchair is manual or powered, as not all vehicles will be big enough to accommodate powered wheelchairs.

Dial-a-Ride or Taxi Card services may also be available for disabled people in your area – check with your local council.