Questions about MS? Call us on 0808 800 8000
A photo showing Euro coins and notes

MS, finance, benefits and coronavirus

Do you have multiple sclerosis or care for someone who has? You might be eligible for extra financial help or welfare benefits during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

We last reviewed and updated this page on Wednesday 28 September 2022. 

If your circumstances have changed since the pandemic, it’s worth checking if anything has changed in the benefits you can get. 

On this page:

Can I still access the Job Retention Scheme (furlough)? 

The Job Retention Scheme (furlough) to help people keep their jobs ended on 30 September 2021. But you might still be able to get Statutory Sick Pay.

    Can I claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)?

    If you're employed, Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is available under the usual rules, including if you're sick with COVID-19. 

    SSP is arranged through your employer. Talk to them first about occupational sick pay, as that's more generous. But if you’re not eligible for that, you can apply for SSP. 

    Read more about Statutory Sick Pay on the UK government website

    If you’re not entitled to SSP, you might be able to claim Universal Credit, New Style Job Seekers Allowance or New Style Employment and Support Allowance.

    If you’re “clinically extremely vulnerable” or “highest risk”

    If you're considered "clinically extremely vulnerable" ("highest risk" in Scotland), there might be times when you're told to "shield" (stay at home) by a doctor or by local COVID-19 restrictions. You should receive a letter explaining that. You can use this with your employer (or the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)) as evidence you can’t work outside your home.

    Check if you can get Statutory Sick Pay on the UK government website

    Find out about your rights at work during the COVID-19 pandemic

    Can I get financial support if test and trace means I have to stay off work?

    In Scotland, if you’re told to self-isolate by the test and trace service you might be able to get a support payment of £500, to help cover lost earnings. It's called the Self-isolation Support Grant.

    You might also be able to claim if your child under 16 is asked to self-isolate. You'd need to show you'll lose income because you need to look after them.

    Find out more about the Self-isolation Support Grant from the Scottish government website

    In England and Wales, Test and Trace Support Payments have ended.

    In Northern Ireland, this payment hasn't been available. But you might be able to get other financial support if you’re told to self-isolate.

    Find out more about extra financial support from the Northern Ireland government website

    Help with essentials if you claim council tax support

    If you're claiming council tax support, your council might be able to reduce your bills, and help if you're finding it hard to cover essentials like food, clothing or utility bills 

    Find your local council at

    Can I claim Universal Credit?

    If you’re thinking of claiming Universal Credit, check that’s your best option. It might not be, for example, if you already get tax credits. The Department for Work and Pensions has made a short video to explain it on LinkedIn.

    If you are making a new claim for Universal Credit, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will call you to confirm the details once your claim is finished. You don't need to call them for an appointment. If you can't complete a claim for Universal Credit online, you can still call the DWP and make your claim by phone.

    Read about claiming Universal Credit on the UK government website

    Can I claim Carer's Allowance?

    Carer's Allowance is the main benefit for carers. And if you look after someone for 35 hours a week or more, you might be eligible.

    There were some special COVID rules for Carer’s Allowance but those have now ended. 

    How does COVID-19 affect benefit applications and assessments?

    If you need financial support, make sure you’re getting what you’re entitled to. 

    At the start of COVID-19, the UK government extended awards and reassessments for some people’s health and disability benefits. And face-to-face assessments for sickness and disability benefits, including for new claims, were suspended since the first lockdowns.

    But they've started again for some people’s PIP assessments and Work Capability Assessments (for Universal Credit and Employment Support Allowance). You could have had a letter inviting you to a face-to-face appointment any time from May 2021.

    Most assessments will still happen by post or over the phone, but you could be asked to attend a face-to-face one. All assessment centres should follow COVID-19 safety rules whenever they apply.

    Read the UK government guidance for anyone having a face-to-face assessment 

    If you have a phone assessment, you can ask to have someone else on the call to support you. They can do this from their own phone wherever they are. 

    If you have questions or concerns about how you’ll be assessed, contact the relevant benefit helpline at or get in touch with our MS Benefits Adviser (call our MS Helpline on 0808 800 8000 or email [email protected]).

    Remember you're not alone

    We're here for you. If you’re worried about your MS and coronavirus and want to chat to someone, call our MS Helpline on 0808 800 8000. We’re here Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm except bank holidays.

    If you'd like to talk your worries through online with other people who know MS, visit our Online Community Forum today.

    You can join one of our Time to Chat or Virtual Wellbeing sessions and connect online with other people living with MS across the UK. Or you could sign up for an information webinar. We've got plenty to choose from, take a look at our online sessions and see what suits you.

    Help prevent outdated information sharing

    We're constantly updating our information on coronavirus. So if you want to share it, please link to the page directly rather than quoting or summarising what we’ve said.

    Last full review:

    We also update when we know about important changes.

    Find out how we keep our information up-to-date