Gift Aid

Gift Aid

Gift Aid is a government scheme that enables charities to claim the basic rate of tax on donations you have made to a charity. This could mean that your donations are increased by 25% at no extra cost to you.

This page will help you understand a bit more about the Gift Aid scheme and whether your donations are eligible for the scheme.

It could help you to maximise your donations!

Gift Aid Questions and Guidelines

Sign up to Gift Aid your donations

It’s really simple to sign up to Gift Aid your donations, you can call our Supporter Care Team on the number below, or complete our Gift Aid declaration form and send it to our Supporter Care Team via their email or the freepost address.

>> To apply Gift Aid to all donations you make, download the Gift Aid declaration form

>> To apply Gift Aid to one donation only, download the single donation Gift Aid declaration form

Please note, you can fill this form out on your PC and email it to our Supporter Care Team.



MS Society,

372 Edgware Road,



Am I eligible for Gift Aid?

To qualify for Gift Aid, you must pay income tax and/or Capital Gains tax at least equal to the amount of tax we, and all other charities you may support, will claim from your gifts in that tax year.

We will claim 25p from every £1 that you donate. For example: If you donate £100 in total to all charities in a particular tax year, you will need to have paid £25 of income tax or capital gains tax over that period. To find out how much Gift Aid is worth on you donation you will need to use this formula £x/80*20 = £x (amount of Gift Aid).

Please note: other taxes such as VAT and Council tax do not qualify. If we claim more Gift Aid than tax that you have paid, you may receive a letter from HMRC to pay the difference.

We advise that you do not sign up to the Gift Aid scheme if you are unsure whether you can Gift Aid your donations or not. It's best to ask your financial adviser or HMRC for advice first before signing up.

Back to top

How do I cancel my Gift Aid declaration?

If you want to cancel your Gift Aid declaration, all you need to do is contact our Supporter Care team and they can do this for you.

Back to top

Are all donations eligible for Gift Aid?

No, not all donations are eligible for Gift Aid. We can only claim Gift Aid on personal donations and sponsorship. Gift Aid can only be claimed from voluntary donations, this means if your supporters receive goods or a service in return for a donation then Gift Aid should not be applied when you pay in this donation.

If you are paying in your fundraising income via our website or websites like JustGiving or Virgin Money Giving, only apply Gift Aid to your personal donations.

Please do not apply Gift Aid if the money you are paying in is from:

  • Offline sponsorship, we will claim the Gift Aid once you send in your paper sponsorship forms.
  • Any collections where you have not got the donors details on our donation or sponsorship forms.
  • Raffles, lotteries and sweepstakes.
  • Sale of goods e.g. Ticket sales, auctions and sale of cakes
  • Corporate donations  

Back to top

Overseas treks and adrenaline events

There are rules about who can Gift Aid their donations for this type of fundraising. If you're taking part in an overseas event, where part of your fundraising pays for the costs of your event (i.e. flights, accommodation or skydive), please note that your family members cannot apply Gift Aid to their donations if they sponsor you.

Family members include:

  • Wife, husband or civil partner.
  • Brother, sister, parents and grandparents.
  • Wife, husband or civil partner of a relative.

This rule does not apply:

  • If you pay the full costs yourself of the overseas trek (flights and accommodation etc.
  • If you cover the cost of the adrenaline event (paying for skydive)
  • To any domestic events such as runs, cycling and challenge events.

If you have any questions regarding this, please contact our Supporter Care Team.

Back to top

Sponsorship forms

To help us maximise your sponsorship please follow these guidelines. For us to be able to claim Gift Aid from your sponsorship, we require all the information below to be filled out by your donors:

  • First and surname
  • Home address
  • Postcode
  • Donation amount
  • Tick the Gift Aid column
  • Donation date

We cannot claim Gift Aid if the sponsorship form is filled out in the same handwriting, please ensure your donors fill out the form and supply us with all the required information. 

We do not claim Gift Aid from joint donations or donations made by a company. Once your fundraising is complete send your form back to us and we will claim the Gift Aid.

Back to top

How can I claim Gift Aid on donations from a fundraising event I’m organising?

Contact our Supporter Care Team and they can supply you with donation forms. Ask your donors to fill out these forms and send them to us with the full amount you have raised.

Donation forms work in the same way as sponsorship forms, to ensure we can maximise your fundraising please ensure you read the section above on sponsorship forms. 

Please note: Gift Aid applies only to personal donations.

Gift Aid can only be claimed from voluntary donations, this means if supporters receive goods or a service in return for a donation the donation is then ineligible for the Gift Aid.

For example this rule applies to fundraising activities such as raffles, cake sales and ticket sales.

If you have any questions, please contact our Supporter Care team.

Back to top

Page tagged with:
Page last updated: 18 Sep 2017
Thanks to the generosity of donors who have donated to the MS Society and taken the time to let us know their tax status, we can give extra support to the people affected by MS and invest more in research.
Contact us

Any questions? Call us free on 0300 500 8084 or email us at

What's new?