Thanks to donors who let us know their tax status, we can invest more in research and give extra support to people affected by MS.
So let us know today if we can Gift Aid your donations:
- Call us on 0300 500 8084
- Email us at email@example.com
- Download the Gift Aid form and send it to: Supporter Services, MS Society, 372 Edgware Road, London NW2 6ND
For more information, see our FAQ section below.
- Am I eligible for Gift Aid?
- Will the information I give be used for anything else?
- How much more could my donation be worth?
- What if I’m not a UK tax payer or I am not eligible?
- Can I reclaim on my donations?
- I am collecting sponsorship, how can my sponsors Gift Aid their donation?
- I am holding an event/gathering where people will be making donations. How can I Gift Aid these?
- Where can I found information about tax efficient giving?
To be eligible for Gift Aid, what you pay in income tax or capital gains tax for each tax year, must at least equal the amount we (and other charities you support) will claim on your gifts in that tax year. For example:
- If you donate £100 in a particular tax year, you will need to have paid £25 of tax over that period (£100/4 = £25).
Please note: other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify. Gift aid will add 28p on every £1 up to 05/04/2008 and 25p on every £1 on or after 06/04/2008.
All information supplied to the MS Society will be treated in the strictest confidence, and will only be used to claim Gift Aid.
The Gift Aid amount we receive back is proportional to your donations: the higher your donations, the more tax we can claim back.
To calculate how much more your donation could be worth, you can simply divide by four your yearly donations.
- If you donate £300 per year: £300 / 4 = £75
- If you donate £100 per year: £100 / 4 = £25
We would like to hear from you anyways, so we’ll be sure not to ask you again.
If you are paying tax on the higher rate, you can claim extra relief on your donations.
If you pay tax at the 40% rate, you can reclaim as much as £25 from the taxman for every £100 donated to charity, by including details of your Gift Aid donations on the Self Assessment form. If you pay tax at the 50% rate, you can reclaim £37.50 for every £100 donated.
We can send you sponsor forms which will ask your sponsors to Gift Aid their donation. When speaking to your friends, please highlight the importance of Gift Aid and ask them to complete the form carefully, making sure they give the following information:
- their full name
- their home address, including postcode
- amount of gift and the date it was given
- the Gift Aid box must also be ticked.
This will confirm that the donor is a UK Tax Payer and therefore their donation is eligible for Gift Aid.
Make sure you send in your sponsor forms to us with the money you have collected.
We can supply you with donation forms or envelopes which will ask them to Gift Aid their donation. You can then collect in these forms and send them to us with the full amount you have raised.
Please note: Gift Aid applies only to gifts. That means we can’t use Gift Aid on activities where people have been charged an entry fee or have entered a competition such as a raffle. It can not be used for money collected from things like collections where you don’t have the donors details.
Information can also be found on the UK Government’s website.
Thanks to the generosity of donors who have donated to the MS Society and taken the time to let us know their tax status, we can give extra support to the people affected by MS and invest more in research.
Any questions? Call us free on 0300 500 8084 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.