Two women look at an information leaflet

Help for carers in Scotland

In Scotland, if you provide regular care for someone, you are entitled to a carer's assessment and may be able access funding for a break yourself.

You will need to contact your local council's health and social care department to ask for this.

The Care Information Scotland website has more information. The site and helpline are aimed at people over 65 but much of the information is relevant to all adults.

We also offer financial help to carers through our carer's grants. Call our Supporter Care Team on 0300 500 8084 for details.

A new benefit is now available called Carer’s Allowance Supplement. This is an extra payment twice a year for over 70,000 carers in Scotland who get full or partial Carer’s Allowance. The first two payments will be £221 each. Getting it won’t affect your Carers Allowance or any other benefits you get. Find out more on the website.

Scottish organisations for carers

Carers Scotland provides information for carers on a wide range of issues as well as campaigning for carers' rights.

Carers UK helpline - 0808 808 7777 (Monday and Tuesday 10am-4pm).

Coalition of Carers in Scotland is a network of local carer led groups, centres and projects.

Crossroads Caring Scotland provides support for carers and their families.

The Carers Trust operates the network of local carers centres . Call 0300 123 2008 or email

Local carers' centres

There are local carers' centres or organisations in most parts of Scotland such as VOCAL (Voice of carers across the Lothians) and Connecting Carers in the Highlands. These groups offer information and advice and other services such as advocacy for carers, support groups, courses (eg, looking after yourself) and counselling.

Find your local centre on the Carers Trust - Scotland website.

Care at home services

Crossroads Caring Scotland provides care at home services to let carers have a break. Referral is usually through your local council's health and social care department but you can also self refer. There are Crossroads offices across Scotland.

You can find other services on the Shared Care Scotland website. They aim to improve knowledge and understanding of short break services for people in Scotland, including an online short break information service (OSBIS).

Options for Independence (part of the Red Cross) provides a range of services across northern Scotland.

More information about care in Scotland