Photo shows two men sitting in front of a window reading together

Paying for residential care

Most people are expected to pay at least part of the costs of their care home. They can be expensive, costing hundreds of pounds a week.

If you need to move to a care home, you'll be given a financial assessment to work out how much you need to pay yourself, and what your local council (or, in Northern Ireland, health and social care trust) will pay to make up the difference.

The rules about payment are complex, but it helps to know about the topics below.

Find out about:

Campaign to improve social care

Together, we’ve already reached 90% of all MPs in England with our emails about improving social care. Thank you! Now 80 other charities are helping keep up the pressure.

Sign our joint petition to improve social care