I'm Beth and would like to introduce myself to everyone on the forum. I've just started volunteering as the newsletter editor for GLAMS. I understand you've been without a newsletter for a while now so I thought this might be a good opportunity to find out what people want from the quarterly newsletter and try to tailor it to GLAMS as much as possible.
To tell you a bit about me, I’ve worked as an assistant editor for the past 5-ish years and write a bit in my spare time. I started volunteering because I decided that I would rather spend my spare time writing and editing than watching yet another 3-year-old episode of Have I Got New For You on Dave. I don’t have MS myself, but my dad does so I know a fair bit about the effect it can have on people’s lives and try to keep up-to-date with news and developments to do with the condition.
So the long and the short of it, there are personal reasons for me to volunteer but I’m mainly here because I’m excited about producing a bloomin’ fantastic newsletter for GLAMS. And I’m hoping you can all help make it so.
I thought I’d kick things off with a few ideas and questions. Please feel free to tell me if they are rubbish – I won’t be offended, I promise. And, more importantly, please post your ideas and thoughts below.
- It needs to cater to nationwide group so can’t be too place-specific. We’ll continue to advertise events but should try to make sure they're from all over the country.
- Would be great to get more people active on the forum. Could we use the newsletter to do this? Maybe advertise forum discussions? Or set up particular times when users can logon – online meet ups?
- How about hearing personal stories from GLAMS members? We could do a different story each newsletter? I’d be happy to edit, or even help write, if needs be. Would anyone be willing?
- What sort of news do you want to hear? GLAMS news, MS news, LGBT news, all of the above?
- What else, what else, what else…